Thursday, December 23, 2004

sometimes you feel like a nut

Let's get serious. God had it right when he created Eve.

There Adam was, hanging out in the Garden of Eden, with little to do except name all of the animals (is that where the dinosaurs lived too?) and hang out. I expect he probably prayed a lot and thanked God for the numerous gifts he had been given. Life was good. But, Adam was probably mildly bored with not having anyone mortal to talk to. He didn't know it, but he needed a woman. This is perhaps the greatest human metaphor; that without women, men are just not the same. As always and not surprisingly, God had it right. Now, had it not been for that first woman and the forbidden fruit, Adam might still be in the garden. He'd be twelve thousand or so years old and he probably would be wishing he had some fig leaves, but worst of all, he would be alone.

Forgive that paragraph if you will, for my theology is probably not particularly sound. But I think, for the most part, I was pretty on target. So what was God saying when he snuck one of Adam's ribs while he was asleep? You can't live by your lonesome buddy, and I am going to help you out.

Adam probably treated Eve well while they were going out, or married, or whatever they were. But there were probably times when slipped up and snapped at her or something (remember that forbidden fruit thing? He was probably pissed off about that). But it sounds to me like Eve still loved him through all of that. What a sweet lady...

Men need to learn how to love the woman they love, and they can't do it without God. Steven Curtis Chapman probably has it right:

Well you know it's not the first time
And it will not be the last
When you find me here on my knees
Praying for the storm to pass
But what I am really needing
Is much more than just relief
I am crying out for wisdom
Only you can give to me'
Cause it's such a mystery
I'm a clueless man when it comes
To knowing how to love a woman

Loving a woman is a journey it would seem. Men are not born to do it perfectly.

Thank you for looking past my flaws even when it is most difficult to do so.

No comments: