Saturday, December 02, 2006

what inspires you?

I believe there are moments in our lives when God gives us the opportunity to be inspired. This is something that makes us most human. It is as if our souls are hungry for this kind of thing. When we are inspired, we are motivated and given the strength and power to do great things.

PBS is in the middle of their annual holiday pledge drive. I love these times of year. Not because I end up giving any money to public broadcasting (maybe I should), but because they show the greatest specials, from Yanni concerts to retrospectives on Victor Borge. This season PBS is broadcasting a concert in tribute to James Taylor. It is running under the "Great Performances" label, and it is terrific.

For whatever reason, this has truly inspired me in my music and songwriting. I think I am afraid to write music because I am afraid it will not be what I want it to be. That it will be unoriginal and not exciting to anyone. This special has, for whatever reason, inspired me to change my thoughts and take some chances with my music.

Jesus, take the wheel.

EDIT: One more thought. It's about leaving a legacy. At some point in our lives (from what I can tell in my brief years of existence), we have the opportunity to choose our adventure. Inspiration allows us to make the right choice, no matter where we are in life.

No comments: