Wednesday, August 22, 2007

live at verizon wireless music center, night 1














I was able to enjoy my fourteenth and fifteenth Dave Matthews Band concert this past weekend at Verizon Wireless Music Center in Noblesville, IN. The following is my song-by-song review of the first night (the second night's review will be on the way shortly as well).Dave Matthews Band Verizon Wireless Music Center Friday, August 17, 2007

Seek Up
: A total surprise as an opener! I expected the band to play the standard One Sweet World or Don't Drink The Water, but we got this one as an excellent change. Very chill way for the show to begin.

#27: I knew this would be coming at some point in the evening as it is one of the new songs the band has been playing consistently at each venue. I really like the darker sound of the song and the direction the band has been taking the new material.

Hunger For the Great Light: This song is a live powerhouse. Always gets the crowd going a ton. I don't get tired of hearing it at all.

When The World Ends: I can take or leave this one! Totally thrown by Dave busting it out on the 12-string (I thought for sure we were getting Grey Street or Sweet Up and Down).

You Might Die Trying: Of the Stand Up material, this is one of the songs that translates pretty well in a live setting. Again, I can take or leave the song, but I do enjoy hearing it.

Grey Street: As much as I love this song, I have heard it at 10/14 shows to which I have gone. Standard version, but again, the crowd loves it!

Corn Bread: Of the newest songs, this one has the most power live. The boys should be proud of a song that takes them in a new direction but is still, in a way, true to the roots that made them famous.

Sweet Up and Down: I was looking for the 12-string all night to see if we would get this one! This has always been one of my favorites from the Lillywhite Sessions, and I am glad to see that it has come back with the band.

Sister: I didn't even notice that Butch, Carter, and Rashawn were singing backup vocals during this whole tune. Interesting.

Still Water > Don't Drink the Water: I do enjoy this whole sequence. Still Water is nice and slow, and DDTW tears it up every time.
The Maker: I had heard this for this first time at Toyota Park this year, and it was nice to hear it again -- the band does a great job with Daniel Lanois' tune.

Lousiana Bayou: Julie was wanting to hear this one all night, and I am so glad they played it for that reason! Just plain fun.

Anyone Seen the Bridge > Too Much: Okay, now this was just fun. If you haven't seen the new sort of "stop-time" intro to ASTB, it is just a lot of fun. Too Much is a song that has continued to grow on me from day one.

Shotgun: Of the new songs, this one is most reminiscent of sounds from UTTAD/Crash/BTCS. I enjoy the riff a ton and would care to hear this song at every concert.

Warehouse: A fun surprise! No "Louie, Louie", but the salsa jam/last chorus is so much fun.

Stay (Wasting Time): Saw this one coming from a mile away! No matter what anyone says, this song is a great closer!

***********
Gravedigger: This one I can take or leave, but I didn't mind hearing it.

Dreamgirl: Another fun surprise -- really like the direct intro to this one.

Tripping Billies: As soon as Dreamgirl came up, I leaned over to Julie and said, "the last song will be Ants Marching or Tripping Billies." I was right! (I was kind of glad we had dodged All Along the Watchtower -- it's nice and loud, but I'll take Billies over AATW any day.)

All in all, an excellent first night to this two night stand. I was so glad that Julie could come with me for her first DMB show! She really enjoyed it, and that made me enjoy all the more!

Back with Night 2's review soon!

Blogged with Flock

2 comments:

KTB said...

i've heard seek up as a opener before... maybe at soldier field? regardless, yes. a lovely surprise.

i think warehouse is one of my favorite live tunes. the other (which is distinctly missing here, but perhaps came in the second show) is the #36/everyday combo. #36 is my all time favorite dave song.

doesn't the new live album come out soon?

KTB said...

i was thinking of the live at alpine valley show... which i was at! but apparently, that came out awhile ago as a live trax cd. where've i been?