Sunday, August 26, 2007

live at verizon wireless music center, night 2

As promised, here is my review of night 2!

One Sweet World: Saw this one coming from a mile away. The band loves to open with this song. Standard, always fun.

Crash Into Me: Nice surprise in the second spot in the set! This is a crowd favorite and always a sing-along. 2/2 on songs I enjoy.

Pantala Naga Pampa > Rapunzel: I wanted this to open so bad (see 9.15.06), but this placement was an awesome surprise. Just ask Julie, I was going crazy.

Where Are You Going: Julie wanted to hear this one real bad. Real happy that the band played it this night.

Corn Bread: Was really hoping that I would get to see this one again live. It is clear that the band loves this song -- it rocks live and full band.

Jimi Thing: I've heard Jimi a ton live, but it's a song that really gets the crowd going, so it's hard to complain. Butch's scat solo is lost a bit on me at this point, but I am glad that he gets a chance to shine -- he is very talented.

Eh Hee: So surprised to hear this full band -- up to this point, it had only ever been played Dave and Tim. Funny that Adam and I were singing this on the golf course that same afternoon.

Bartender: Bathroom time! After Dave's singing/wailing, Julie and I headed for the restrooms. The jam is fun -- but I have seen it a ton.

Crush: Another crowd favorite! I've heard it quite a few times, but it is a lot of fun.

The Idea of You: I prefer the 2006 versions to what they've done with the chorus drum beat at this point, however it is one of the better new songs to come out in the last couple of years. Always enjoyable!

#41 (with Joe Lawlor): When they brought out monitors and pedals in Boyd's area, I thought for sure we were going to get "Everyday", but instead it was an awesome surprise with "#41." Joe Lawlor (a crew member) is INCREDIBLE and tore this song apart. It was tremendous.

What Would You Say: I got nervous that this would be the last song.

The Song That Jane Likes: When Dave said, "I got a little sister named Jane, and this is the song that Jane likes", I went crazy. Julie couldn't believe it. This was such a surprise -- and one of the songs that she knows well. Awesome treat.

Everyday: Standard. Julie loves this one too, so I was glad they played it. I knew what was coming next after the last riff hit...

Ants Marching: I will never, ever get tired of hearing Ants Marching. It is an excellent set closer and always my favorite song to hear. Great!

*************
So Damn Lucky: Cool to hear this -- first time Dave has ever played it in a full band show. He hit every note, right to the last chord. Awesome.

American Baby Intro: Kind of felt like this was coming. Fun -- but I do not want Dave to wreck his voice playing this song. He might.

Two Step: Thankfully, we dodged "All Along The Watchtower" for a second night. I much prefer the band to close with a song that is their own.


All in all, this was an awesome weekend, and it easily rivaled the shows from last year. Seeing the band at the former Deer Creek always makes for a great weekend.

No comments: