Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Two days in a row! Job search update...

Here we go with what it sure to be an interesting and fun-filled post about my current experience as a college graduate.

First, what it means to be a college graduate. As a college graduate, I have spent my days at the college library (probably more time than I was ever there during my actual stint in college) looking for jobs and hoping that one of them would pan out for me. Teaching jobs are funny because each district has a different, but equally confusing application process. This has proved to be incredibly time-consuming with little reward. However, I did have an interview last week with a school in Davenport, Florida called Four Corners Charter School. It is a K-8 school that is in need of a middle school music teacher. The interview was over the phone and I felt like it went pretty well. They said they would be making their decision by June 20, and also asked if I would be willing to fly down and visit. I said that I would have no problem making the sacrifice to fly down to Florida on a whim!

This week has been a little lazy in terms of the job search, simply because I am waiting out the results of this interview that I had last week. I truly hope that it pans out because it is a great area and the mix of classes is exactly what I am looking for: weighted heavily in general music with a choir class as well. I would be able to focus on what I really love, which is getting kids excited and involved in learning music.

So we will see what happens...if you happen to read this and feel inclined to do so, please take a minute and just shoot out a prayer for this, because I really feel like it is the opportunity for me and I am just looking for some kind of security about what it is going on for me in the fall. I would also like to start searching for apartments with palm trees and whatnot! Did I mention this school's proximity to Disney World? Well, nevermind...

As always, feel free to comment and share your thoughts on all of this! I look forward to all of your thoughts. Peace...

1 comment:

KTB said...

good luck andrew of j! if you get this job in florida, i'm SO coming to visit. we can have a disney world reunion!! :) sadly, i won't make it out to holland until after my trip to europe. but i hope you're still there in august b/c i miss you and i have a graduation present for you still! love you aj, i'll be praying for your job, for sure! :) love, ktb