Friday, March 30, 2007

ramblings from the road -- day 12

This post also marks a milestone in the history of "scenes from an italian restaurant" -- post 100!

This morning we had the concluding session of the Hartford NACAC College Fair. In honor of the fair, I thought I would share some observations that I made throughout the course of the program:

1. Keuka College (NY) has the most enormous signage I have ever seen in my life. To add to it, their rep showed up in sweatpants, sneakers, and a long-sleeve t-shirt with the college's logo on it. Is this a marketing strategy?

2. My booth was next to Meredith College (NC) for all 3 sessions. Meredith is an all-women's college in Raleigh, North Carolina. Nothing could be more amusing than watching the guys pony up to that table and start filling out an information card.

3. Our reps are celebrities! I met a guy that knew Adam from a CTCL swing, and another guy who knew Travis from fairs on Long Island. Way to go, guys!

4. Juniors in Connecticut are on top of things. People were lined up in the parking lot an hour prior to last night's program. (And I am certain it wasn't so that they could have first dibs on the Expo Center's french fries.)

5. It was never more evident that being a part of CTCL (Colleges That Change Lives) is so important for Hope. We definitely have name recognition in the east because of it.

6. Contrary to popular belief, "MI" is more easily identified as "Miami" rather than "Michigan." I hear that Holland, Miami is quite a place.

7. And finally, a priceless exchange from 2 booths down which involved the rep from John Cabot University, an American liberal arts college located in Rome, Italy:

Student (referring to the college's display): "Is that your campus?"
Rep: "No... that's the Coliseum."

It would be inappropriate for me to post this on the blog, but for an additional laugh, ask me about the Meredith rep's comments about Duke's recent troubles.

Tonight I am headed to downtown Hartford with my sister and brother-in-law to check out a nice restaurant/comedy club. Tomorrow I will be on the road back to Rochester for the weekend and the NACAC program there. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I love your travel blogs! And let me tell you - the day you posted your podcast I had spent way too many hours working in GarageBand for my internship - you gave me a much needed laugh!

An admission anectode for you - not only is MI better known as Miami, it is also better known as Miami, FL. I cannot tell you how many parents have gotten upset with me on the phone that we do not have their child's application to the University of Miami (FL). And how many are embarrased to discover they are calling the wrong school.